Vinnitsa DIOCESE.PAST AND PRESENT.
Vinnytsia diocese as an independent, was established September 7, 1933And the first bishop in Vinnitsa Department was Alexander Martyr (Peter).In 1934,He was a member of the Provisional Patriarchal Holy Synod at Deputy Patriarchal Locum Tenens Metropolitan.Sergius (Stragorodsky).In May 1937 Bishop Alexander was transferred from Vinnitsa and Kharkov headed the diocese, where exactly three years in prison Holodnogorskoy ended his earthly life.Memory of the Holy Martyr Alexander 11/24 May, his relics are located in Kharkiv at the Holy Cathedral of the Annunciation.Bishop Alexander March 23, 1937changed the martyr Archbishop Innocent (Tikhonov), who had previously been repeatedly been in exile and in prisons.October 29 he was arrested and executed in November in Vinnitsa.October 4, 1994Decree of the Holy Synod of the UOC Vinnytsia and Bratslav diocese was divided in Vinnitsa and Mogilev-Podolsk, with its center inVineyard, and Tulchin and Bratslav with the center inTulchin.
Until 1793 the Orthodox Podolia underwent severe persecution by the authorities of the Commonwealth, which aims to destroy the Orthodox Church in its territory and the total population of Catholicism by the union.After joining the right bank of Russia, April 13, 1793on the territory of Minsk, and Bratslav provinces Izyaslavskoy created a new diocese.May 15 of that year it was headed by Archbishop Victor (Sadkovskaya).Prior to his appointment Bishop Victor for his active preaching Orthodoxy in Poland, was arrested and imprisoned in the fortress of Czestochowa.Only three years later, thanks to the energetic intervention of Russian diplomacy, he was released.
Due to the fact that only one Bratslavskiy province in 1795 was one thousand four hundred forty-two Church, Empress Catherine II ordered to establish an independent diocese skirts called "Bratslav i Podolsky."Then the bishop of Bratslav and Podolsky was appointed archimandrite stavropigialny Donskoi Monastery Ioanniky (Nikiforovich-Polonsky).First, the seat of the new bishop was Mr.Shargorod, and eventually - Kamenets.Lord of the consistory was founded and created 13 spiritual directions.Among others was founded and Vinnitsa, which were subject to 143 Orthodox churches.After creating a spiritual boards Ioanniky bishop, for the convenience of administration of the diocese, decided to split it into Deaneries and enter a special spiritual position - the deans, who were to exercise direct control of the subordinate clergy.Selected were presented to Bishop Provost Ioanniky who took the oath and received instructions regarding the activities of the new post.
May 9, 1836 the Holy Synod appealed to the Emperor Nicholas Pavlovich with a report which indicated that the Bishop of Podolsk diocese needs the help of vicar bishop because of the large number of churches, which, incidentally, was 1512, many students and religious schools, in general, many cases related to the management of the diocese.The answer was yes.The newly appointed auxiliary bishop received the title of Vinnytsia, and it became the seat of Shargorodsky Nicholas Monastery.In 1861, the Vicariate Vinnitsa abolish, but rather it is formed from Balta resident vicar Bishop of Kamenetz-Podolsk Holy Trinity Monastery.However, since 1904, Vinnytsia Vicariate restored.
Beginning in August 1918Vinnitsa bishops, vicars Podolsk diocese, living in Vinnitsa.That was when Patriarch Tikhon and the Holy Synod decided: "Dean Kiev Theological Academy Archimandrite Ambrose (Polyansky) be the Bishop of Vinnitsa.The seat of the bishop in Vinnitsa haveVineyard. "21 (22) October 1918in the St. Sophia Cathedral, theKiev hosted a bishop consecrated Archimandrite Ambrose.
The October Revolution began another era of cruel persecution, which showed to the world hundreds of thousands, rather millions of examples of standing for the faith.In 1932, Bishop Ambrose died in exile, unable to bear the humiliation of Soviet power.Through '82 after his consecration, in August 2000, At the Jubilee Council of Bishops, he will be canonized the New Martyrs and Confessors for churchwide veneration.
Vinnytsia diocese as an independent, was established September 7, 1933And the first bishop in Vinnitsa Department was Alexander Martyr (Peter).In 1934,He was a member of the Provisional Patriarchal Holy Synod at Deputy Patriarchal Locum Tenens Metropolitan.Sergius (Stragorodsky).In May 1937 Bishop Alexander was transferred from Vinnitsa and Kharkov headed the diocese, where exactly three years in prison Holodnogorskoy ended his earthly life.Memory of the Holy Martyr Alexander 11/24 May, his relics are located in Kharkiv at the Holy Cathedral of the Annunciation.Bishop Alexander March 23, 1937changed the martyr Archbishop Innocent (Tikhonov), who had previously been repeatedly been in exile and in prisons.October 29 he was arrested and executed in November in Vinnitsa.
During the occupation of the Ukraine to act autonomously Ukrainian Orthodox Church, headed by Metropolitan Alexis, Exarch (Gromadsky).It was established at the Council of Pochayiv monastery in August 1941.and not interrupted by the canonical connection with the Patriarchate.At the council it was agreed that the offer imya Metropolitan Sergius of Moscow will be only the head of the Church, yet the other bishops and priests will offer only imya Metropolitan Alexy.Most of the clergy of the Autonomous Ukrainian Orthodox Church was set up patriotic priests, often provide assistance to the guerrillas.Metropolitan Aleksiy appointed chair of the Vinnitsa Bishop Eulogius (Markov).
In March 1944,Vinnitsa in the diocese.operated 839 church communities, four convents, (of which up to 1955there were only two - Brailovsky and Barsky, the parishes were 405 priests.Since May 13, 1945 to January 3, 1946 Vinnitsa department was headed by Bishop Barlaam (Borisevich).Constant concern was to ensure the Bishop Barlaam parish clergy.Despite the difficult times they were organized by the Orthodox courses, which in 1945-46 had taken 40 persons.If, during the occupation of the church communities vozvraschaalis churches that belonged to them before, with the March 1944they again began to select and submit to the schools, clubs, warehouses, etc.n.Persecution intensified in the 60s.In 1961,the number of parishes in the diocese was reduced from 513 to 425.In the next year - up to 384.In 1962,in the winery was closed cathedral Transfiguration Cathedral, after which the function of the cathedral served as Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin.At the beginning of 1970.in the diocese had 337 parishes, which served as a priest, 151 and 2 deacons.
Among the prominent hierarchs who served on the faculty of Vinnytsia to highlight Archbishop Simon (Іvanovskogo), materials for canonization is now being prepared.His service to the Department of Vinnytsia lasted from 1955to 1961Successor of Archbishop Simon became archbishop losaph (Lelyuhin), which after Vinnitsa was appointed to the chair and headed the Kiev Orthodox Church in Ukraine.
1986-1987 years can be considered a turning point in the position of religion and believers in the USSR, because since 1987Atheism is not coming, but rather defensive.Began a comprehensive crisis of the Soviet system.
End of 80th - beginning of 90th years were marked by an active increase in the number of parishes in the diocese.In 1988,Vinnytsia Diocese has actively participated in church-wide celebration of the 1000th anniversary of Baptism of Russia.In 1990,Church was returned to the Holy Transfiguration Church, which again became the Cathedral of Vinnitsa bishops.Restoration of church life after the collapse of the Soviet Union and before that time due to the metropolitan Vinnitsa Agafangel (Savva) and Macarius (Whistler), and Bishop Panteleimon (Baschuka), vicar of the Diocese of Vinnytsia.
The number of arrivals by 1994reached 561.October 4, 1994Decree of the Holy Synod of the UOC Vinnytsia and Bratslav diocese was divided in Vinnitsa and Mogilev-Podolsk, with its center inVineyard, and Tulchin and Bratslav with the center inTulchin.
On August 1, 2008 in Vinnitsa, there were 399 parishes in the diocese who nourished 298 priests.Over the past two decades, Vinnytsia diocese is developing dynamically: an increasing number of parishes, monasteries revived, restored the old and building new churches opened Sunday schools, based library.Priests and lay people are actively involved in works of charity, education and training, adding to the spiritual and cultural treasure of our nation, which has its base in the event of the Baptism of Kievan Rus St. Vladimir.
Archbishop of Vinnitsa and Mogilev-Podolsky, SIMEON (Shostatsky)
From the report "Vinnytsia diocese.Past and Present "/ Materials of the All-Ukrainian scientific-theoretical conference on" Religious Life of Podolia: Past and Present ", dedicated to the 1020th anniversary of Baptism of Russia, the 250th anniversary of the Vinnytsia Cathedral of the Transfiguration Cathedral and the 75th anniversary of the Diocese of Vinnytsia / g.Vinnitsa, Vinnitsa State Pedagogical University named after M.Kotsyubynsky, September 18, 2008